Australian Storytelling Guild (NSW) Inc.
Do you like telling stories? Can you capture and entertain an
audience? If the answer is YES, then enter our Storytelling
Competition for the chance to win a great prize!
Storytelling Competition finalists will be invited to share the stage with
professional storytellers and perform their stories to a family concert audience at
the NSW Storytelling Guild One Day Conference on June 17th 2017
When: closing date Friday May 19th 2017
What to submit.
A video storytelling performance of a published or well crafted original story that takes between 2 and 6 minutes to tell.
Students are encouraged to tell the story in their own words to capture the essence of the story rather than learn the story word for word. For this competition we are not accepting poetry or rhymed stories.
Conditions of entry
- Storytellers may be filmed performing either in front of a live audience or directly to the camera
- Filming should show the performer in a full body or half body shot so that the arms and hands are visible
- Stories are to be told, not read
- The story is to be no longer than 6 minutes
- Consideration should be given to pace and tone of voice, expression and gesture
- Please send your video file on a USB stick to The Australian Storytelling Guild (NSW)
- All entries must be postmarked by Friday 19th May 2017 or earlier
- The quality of the performance will be judged, not the quality of the video or filming technique
- Finalists will be notified by 2nd June 2017
- Finalists will be invited to present their story at the Sydney Storytelling Conference family concert June 17th 2017
- All participants will receive a certificate of participation via email.
Prizes for the competition:
1st place $150, 2nd place $100, 3rd place $50
HOW TO ENTER
1. POST a USB stick with a video file of your performance accompanied by the following information:
- School name
- Story title and Student’s name
- Teacher’s name.... contact phone no.... and email address.
Storytelling Competition for Students
Australian Storytelling Guild (NSW)
P O Box Q274
QVB Post Office NSW 1230
NB. (If a school has a number of entries they can all be placed on the one USB. When sending written information about entries please list in order of performance on the USB submitted)
2. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know that you have posted your USB entry so that we can check and confirm its arrival.
President - Australian Storytelling Guild (NSW)
Competition Email enquiries: email@example.com
At our Weaving Stories Together - Sydney International Storytelling Conference at the end of May 2016 we had a most delightful afternoon being entertained by the performances of the finalists of the 2016 Student Storytelling Competition
Results of the 2016 Student Storytelling Competition
First Place - Alexis Chang - St Monica’s Primary School, North Parramatta (The Girl Who Loves to Write)
Second Place - Bryn Walshaw - Lennox Head Public School (The Bay)
Third Place - Fabienne Narey - St Gerard’s Primary School, Carlingford (Mr McGee and the Biting Flea)
Highly Commended - Abigail Davidson - Glenbrook Public School (The Legend of Brunhild)
Highly Commended - Lara O’Neil - Terry Hills Public School (Weirdo)