Sydney International Storytelling Conference
1-3rd June 2018
Theme: Nourished Through Stories
This biennial conference draws participants, presenters and performers from all Australian States and territories as well as international countries. The conference program has a balance of performances and educational workshops to promote cultural exchange and develop the art, skills and application of Storytelling in a wide context of settings.
Presently, it is the only International Conference held in Australia that has a main focus on the the tradition and practice of Oral Storytelling. The Australian Storytelling Guild (NSW) who are the organisers and hosts of the conference are committed to preserving and promoting this significant art form and its relevance within many areas of education, health, welfare and artistic performance
Who should attend the conference?
- All who use storytelling in work, entertainment or pleasure
- Primary and Secondary classroom teachers of Drama, English, Literacy
- Early Childhood educators
- Adult educators
- Oral historians and Librarians
- Counsellors and Health and Welfare workers
- Public Speakers and Business Leaders
- Parents, grandparents and community groups
The conference will offer 16 professional development workshops that focus on:
- Development of storytelling skills and techniques
- Storytelling in Education - Early Childhood, Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, Adult
- Storytelling for building community – seniors, youth, church, business etc
- Storytelling for healing and well being
- Oral history and historical storytelling
- Storytelling and culture
- Storytelling for Leadership
There is also a Poster Session at the conference
What is the Poster Session? It is a one hour session on Saturday before Dinner. It is a great opportunity for people to share their professional storytelling knowledge and research or information about a special storytelling project and meet others who have a belief in how we can be 'Nourished Through Story'.
The poster session will take place in an informal marketplace atmosphere where people will have an allocated
space to display a poster with information about a storytelling project, storytelling topic of interest or research.
The presenters stand with their posters and people move around and talk with the presenters about their topic or view a
demonstration or listen to a story. It is like a stall at a market place except it is more intimate and you would
engage with different people as they move from poster/demonstration on to another. The presenter may also have
brochures or artefacts to support their presentation. Examples of Poster sessions could be about a project in a school, community, prison etc. It could be about cultural or historical storytelling. There is a wide area of storytelling topics of interest. -
Further information contact Conference Convenor- Christine Carlton firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration - Are you eligible for a special discount code to reduce the fee for the full conference? Email storynsw@gmail to find out.